Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Pics, galleries, a uki church

I finally had the chance to get out to the Williamsburg galleries this past Friday. I felt like an art geek walking around with a camera and a gallery guide tucked under my arm, and a pen behind my ear to check off which galleries I'd been to.

It was a beautiful day that day, probably the last nice day of the season. I'm going to gather my pictures and my thoughts here, because I have to create something more cohesive about the galleries for WSN.




This is the delightfully insane work of Bill Lohre at Fleetwing Gallery, my favorite.
I asked the gallery owner if the artist took his own photographs to compile these 3D collages, but he wasn't sure. I'm assuming he cut things out from magazines, seeing as there were images of Dick Cheney and Miley Cyrus.

The exhibition is up til January 3rd, I highly recommend going to see this in person.
111 Grand St., Brooklyn










On my way back I walked past Holy Ghost Ukrainian Catholic Church on N 5th between Bedford and Driggs (FYI.)
They have Sluzhba Bozha there, "nedilya 10:00 PAHO."




A tryzub in the parking lot.



This is the exterior of Gitana Rosa, a homey little gallery tucked away on a residential street. Inside, it exudes a sense of warmth, its walls covered in yellow flowery wallpaper and Belle & Sebastian playing softly from a boombox. Definitely not a Chelsea gallery.



An abandoned building on Roebling, covered in Cake pieces!


















These paintings were in Pierogi gallery (best name for a gallery...ever).






A wheatpaste piece I saw that reminded me of Elbowtoe's work, although I'm not sure whose it is.








Front Room gallery wasn't open when I came by, but I'm digging the exterior.






Some street art that was pretty cool.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home